Profile Photo

Cycling – General Topics

• Public Group
  • 1 weeks, 5 days ago
  • cycling

Members

Bike security when you’re traveling with your bike on your vehicle?

This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
      Keymaster

I also posted a poll on the subject in group activity here.

If you see this maybe you have some feedback. I’m interested in what other people do when they travel with their bikes on their vehicles.

I need to point out that I have sworn to myself not to leave my bike locked up to a car rack again after my beloved (though not expensive) road bike was stolen off my car a while back. It was chiefly due to stupidity: the guy at the motel said he wasn’t aware that “they’d ever had problems” and the parking lot apparently had video surveillance. But between it being nighttime and not really being locked up well, my bike was gone in the morning.I’d met up with my daughter partway on this road trip and, unfortunately, that was the same morning we had to turn around and head home so she could make it back on time to return to work.

There’s the background. So, recently, after a bike ride my spouse and I wanted to go out for lunch. He wanted to put everything in the car, put the bikes on the car rack and try to lock them to it, and then get lunch. I wanted to stop, lock the bikes up, get lunch, and then go back to the car. I’ll point out it was in town and broad daylight and likely nothing would have happened. But I would have spent lunchtime worrying about the bike. He acted like I was being ridiculous and silly (and yes, I work for the department of redundancy department but this just emphasizes how silly he apparently thought I was being) and an argument ensued. I stuck to my guns and won out, but the irritation on the other side was apparent.

So…I was just wondering for those who come across this, what do you do with your bikes? Particularly if your bikes are relatively pricey ebikes? Do you feel secure leaving your bikes unattended locked to your vehicle rack?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Description
Community discussion and sharing on general cycling topics from bikes to bike gear to tips and tricks. We’ll also post new cycling-related blog posts to this group, so if you’d like you can use it in lieu of subscribing to our Bike Hub newsletters, but the content may be a bit different. Be aware that you’ll also get notified of any new activity posts, comments, forum posts, etc. from any group members. The default email frequency of this group is a daily digest of new activity, but you can change that if you’d like from the group email subscription settings.

Group Administrator(s)

Profile Photo
Cheryl
@cheryl

Recent Group media

Subscribe by Email

Want to keep up with our crunchy granola-like mixture of variable content? Subscribe here, and we'll send you a weekly digest of new stuff from our site, a monthly newsletter of upcoming events from our calendar, and occasional multi-content newsletters.
If you'd like to subscribe to other, specific, content areas, you can do that here.
You can unsubscribe at any time you wish from a link in the footer of email newsletters that we send.
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00

Manage push notifications

notification icon
Opt in to get browser notifications for new posts or for member notifications.
notification icon
Please wait...processing
notification icon
Opt in to get browser notifications for new posts or for member notifications.
notification icon
Please wait...processing